When you have a business that is run mostly over the phone and through email, it doesn’t always make sense to rent office space. My studio is based in my home and I love it. It’s convenient and over the years I’ve taken steps to ensure my office life is separate from my home life with the family. One thing I haven’t taken the time to do is make it my own. Since we moved 1.5 years ago, I’ve been in “go mode” – working non-stop just to keep ahead of things. To the point where my walls are still that once-white/yellowish paint color that someone painted 15+ years ago. This month (fingers crossed) is a little slower than usual and I couldn’t be happier. It’s finally time to get my office organized and decorated in a way that will make me more functional, organized and most importantly…happy.
- Add appropriate amount of counter space for computer and an area to package supplies, assemble products, etc.
- Add natural colors to the room – browns, neutrals, greens, whites.
- Create storage that makes sense.
- Paint, paint, paint, paint, paint (yeah – paint!).
What I have:
- 10′-7″ x 7′ room
- 4′ x 2.5′ closet with no doors
- Three pine table tops (that make a 10′-7″ counter)
- Misc. bookshelves and filing cabinets that do not match
- The most uncomfortable/horrible office chair (bad for person who sits at a computer all day!)
What I want:
- A combination of what you see below. Specifically, the cubby shelves above the desk, a long counter area on my 10′-7″ wall (I already have a natural wood counter that works well), underdesk storage/drawers/filing that matches, space for packaging/assembly, and a comfortable armchair style chair.